Sunday, January 27, 2008

last call!

Today after brunch at my favorite spot in the west loop, Le Peep, I to head down to Michigan Ave to check out the last call sale at Neiman Marcus. Now, some ask me why I shop at "Needless Mark-ups", but let me tell you folks, when they have sales, they have good ones.

Having worked at a small boutique on Southport I learned how ridiculous the mark-ups are. Rock and Republics bought at wholesale for $49-79 are marked up 210-230%! And those $30 oversized bangles that are all the rage with the boho-chic look? Wholesale price - 99 cents - if even that. So imagine my shock and glee when I found a pair of slimming high-waisted J Brands on sale for $65! I'm usually a 27 but I fit into the one 26 they had left and decided to run with it. Other great deals included a gold colored short sleeved Karta mini dress for $84 and some Vera Wang purple label dresses and shirts priced at $98-150.

General rule of thumb ladies...wait for the sales. Never, never buy at full retail price. And do your research. Sometimes in-season designer items can be found at Nordstrom Rack or Filene's basement. They just slip through the cracks. For example, last September I found an adorable 3.1 Philip Lim half tuxedo jacket at Nordstrom Rack for $110. Recently at P.45, they had the same jacket, now out of season, on sale for $150. I also got a great strapless Nanette Lapore pencil dress at the Nordstrom Rack in Oakbrook for $72. When I went to the downtown Nordstrom, they had the same dress for $149, and at Neiman Marcus for $178.

This is not to say you shouldn't buy at boutiques. I say, stick to buying bigger name brands at department stores and outlets and buy harder to find independent brands at boutiques. Either way, with sales you can still get quality clothing...and with the money you save, you can stock up on other necessities like undergarments and tights!

No comments: