Thursday, February 14, 2008

v-day = singles awareness day?

My friend in Boston sent out a mass text out this morning wishing all her friends a happy "singles awareness day." For a short second, I was a little sad that I'm single this year. No classy dinner plans or a special blue box with pearl earrings...but then I realize in a city like Chicago, why can't everyday singles awareness day? I mean, this is not Provo, Utah for goodness sakes. This time last year, I have to admit, I was looking forward to what my boyfriend had planned but deep down inside I wished that I was single. There are so many eligible mates in this city that it seems better to be single and just make your rounds, doesnt it? I'm a new people person. I like meeting new people and making new connections. That's what the 20s are all about. You have your whole life to be in a committed relationship, why not have fun now?

That being said, I look forward to the rest of today, this so-called Valentine's Day. I laugh at all you couples and your cheesy flowers, wine and jewelry. Today, I embrace singledom...and perhaps that bar of Vosges in my fridge...

No comments: